Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Day 6: Your Views on Mainstream Music

I am not a big fan of anything mainstream. Mainstream is... well, mainstream. 

Okay, I think most mainstream music is in a way, "commercialized". Most of the songs and singers themselves are out to impress rather than to express. 


Though I am a nooby-noob-noob when it comes to indie music, a lot of it so far has given me chills an can wrench my heart into directions that mainstream music doesn't. Indie music has a really different feel to it. Their lyrics are poetic, singers' voices are different in such cute quirky ways and they use instruments that barely see the light in most mainstream music. 


Mainstream music is known by everyone, hence being mainstream. On the other hand, only people who like the indie vibe have heard indie music. It's a bit like having your own little private island when you need to escape from the crazy, crazy world we live in. They also sing about such deep things like trouble or sickness but they way their voices carry the lyrics is just--ahhh. :)


But as you've noticed, I've used the term most mainstream music. I'm not a staunch anti-mainstream music person. I'd have to say that it'd just be a matter of selection. A lot of mainstream songs pull on my heart strings too (while a lot of them make me crazy dance)


And if you care enough, here's a few of my favorite mainstream and indie songs.


Mainstream:


  1. Just Give Me a Reason by Pink Ft. Nate Ruess
  2. Still Into You by Paramore
  3. One Way Or Another by One Direction
  4. 22 by Taylor Swift
  5. I Won't Give Up On Us by Jason Mraz
  6. It Will Rain By Bruno Mars
  7. Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift
  8. Can I Have This Dance by Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron
  9. Vanilla Twilight by Owl City
  10. Gone, Gone, Gone by Phillip Phillips
Indie (And lesser known bands):

1 comment: